Even after buying a mattress in Calgary, are you struggling to sleep? If so, you might think you may have purchased the wrong bed. That’s a fair assumption to make. However, before returning to your local mattress store in Calgary, you should check if you have the right pillow. You might not realize it, but your pillow is just as important as a mattress for promoting better sleep. Do you wonder why that’s the case? Learn why having the right pillow is integral for restful sleep and how you can find the one for you here.
Getting The Right Pillow For Your Mattress in Calgary
Why Having the Right Pillow Matters
When you enter a mattress store in Calgary, your main objective is to improve your sleep. Typically, the idea is to find a comfortable bed that supports spinal alignment properly. Even the most expensive mattress in Calgary will only help if it can address your unique sleep concerns. The same logic can be applied when finding the right pillow.
The right pillow works alongside your mattress to provide added support for your head and neck while keeping your shoulders, hips, and spine in alignment. If a pillow effectively meets those factors, it can help your body to relax and rest comfortably. As a result, an optimal pillow can improve the quality of your sleep and help you wake up feeling refreshed.
Signs Your Pillow Isn’t Suitable For You
Your beauty sleep beginning to suffer is the first sign your pillow isn’t suitable for you. Many don’t realize it initially since the blame is usually shifted to the mattress for all the sleep problems. Yet, other, more obvious signs can make it clear it’s not. Check them out here.
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Breathing & digestive issues
How You Can Find the Right Pillow
The main functions of your pillow are to provide support and comfort. Proper support helps support your neck, upper back and spine, allowing for rest and recovery. Meanwhile, comfort is important for making it easier to fall asleep deeply. Yet, how can you strike this balance between these two? See how below.
Your Sleep Style
People are either side, back, or stomach sleepers for the most part. Knowing how you position yourself while you sleep can give you an idea of what pillow to consider.
- Side sleeper: A firm pillow is usually recommended. However, it should help bridge the distance between your ear and shoulder. Doing so allows for more comfort & encourages proper spinal alignment. If you sometimes roll to sleeping on your stomach, you can prevent this by adding a pillow between your knees.
- Back sleeper: Best to consider a pillow with an extra loft to help cradle your neck better. A memory foam pillow can accomplish this by creating consistent support and alleviating pressure by molding it to you.
- Stomach sleeper: Being a stomach sleeper isn’t the best for your sleep health. However, a pillow loft is best if it can’t be helped. The loft of the pillow determines the angle of the head and neck. Additionally, it impacts how much support the pillow provides.
Your Unique Needs
Knowing your sleep position is only one factor that can help you determine the right pillow. It would help if you thought about what you can find to address your unique sleep needs.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you have asthma, allergies, or sensitivities? If so, you want to find a hypo-allergenic pillow. In turn, you won’t need to worry about triggering a reaction that’ll disrupt your sleep.
- Are you a hot or cold sleeper? Cooler conditions are ideal for restful sleep. Memory foam infused with copper and graphite or a cooling gel can help draw heat away from your body. If you’re looking for breathability, then a latex pillow is great.
Once you find a pillow that can address these issues, you can further narrow down what pillow is best for you.
Dreamology dedicates itself to helping you wake up feeling refreshed. Dreamology is NW Calgary’s premier mattress shop. We carry a large selection of premium mattresses, bedding, and pillows so you can get a better night’s sleep.
Questions or comments? Speak with our mattress experts today.